Monday, February 8, 2010

The Blizzard of 2010





I was excited as it was still snowing the morning of February 6, 2010. It was 9AM on a Saturday, and the day was mine. I thought I had prepared myself well: special wool socks and sturdy hiking boots, along with my down jacket made for arctic temperatures and my leather gloves good for gripping my camera. I didn't realize how deep the snow was until I got into the park. The main roads had been plowed, at least once, so they were walkable. In the park, I found that I had to stop every 5 minutes to catch my breath, trudging through the 2+ feet of snow. Thankfully, there were others out, and their dogs seemed particularly happy to see another playmate in the snow. I was glad to stop for a playful little pat and rub on the head and sides of their bodies. I don't have a dog of my own and prefer not to keep one, but I like dogs, having had a few in my childhood. I finally made it to the stream. Yes, it was beautiful, but my body was aching enough to make the experience less than serene. I was thinking of how I wanted to just get the shots and then get out. It was a long hike home and I was already tired. I was still stopping every 5 minutes to catch my breath. Once I made it back to Braddock Avenue, I stopped in the corner store to buy a can of diet pop. It tasted pretty good, considering I don't buy pop very often. Then I ambled down the shoveled sidewalk a few doors to the laundromat. It was empty, but a warm place to rest a bit and to look over some of the shots. By this time the sun was shining and I regretted not waiting a few hours as the sky became a brilliant cobalt blue. I made my way trudging in the middle of the street to my building. My neighbor was standing at the doorway in her bedroom slippers and asked if I was out all day. "Why yes, what time is it?" I was listening for the local church bell which rang the hour on weekends, but didn't hear the number of chimes. "It's about 3," she said. Three? I had been out for about six hours! No wonder I was exhausted. I also neglected to bring my cell phone, which was a very stupid mistake, and I silently vowed to invest in a pair of snow shoes for next year.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful shot John! Sounds like an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your therapist friend's probably right! (My daughter recently realized that she's the same.)

    ReplyDelete